So this Montreal restaurant put some rape jokes on their blackboard
e.g. ‘J’aime ma bière comme j’aime ma violence: domestique’
(that probably doesn’t need translation). They got called out for it, then issued a non-apology. Here’s part of their response:
We thought it was harmless. The joke is from the movie Hall Pass and Family Guy. It wasn’t intended to offend anyone or to condone rape or violence. We kind of find it mind-boggling. We’re not promoting rape here. We’re not saying that rape is normal and that people should be getting raped. It’s dark humour, not for kids, but apparently some people choose to interpret it differently.
That probably doesn’t need translation, either, but just in case, they’re basically saying it’s not offensive because:
- Movies and TV did it first and they laughed at it.
- They didn’t intend to explicitly condone rape or violence – god, they’re not monsters.
- They’re so post-rape they can’t even understand how anyone could be offended.
- They don’t think kids can read.
- You’re interpreting it wrong, dummy.
Blah blah blah rapeculturecakes.
(Read more at Eater: Montreal)